I figured I would try to help others get someone on the phone at the IRS because my experience (and most others’ I’ve spoken with recently) was just so frustrating!
I was on the phone for over 2 and a half hours on the phone the other day and I only spoke with one person. That person transferred me, with a pin number, to somewhere around an hour and a half into the call. Then I waited on hold until the end of the day when the system hung up on me.
I tried calling again today and got hung up on by the system 3 times before I found this secret process to get an IRS agent on the phone. This article states that the phone menu changes so this process obviously won’t work forever but my corrected version works right now! I only had to correct the last step (from the expensivity.com process) because the last option had changed slightly.
Secret Process to Getting a Human at The IRS
- Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040
- Select your preferred language.
- Choose option 2 for Personal Income Tax
- Press 1 Forms, Tax History, or Payment
- Press 3 for All Other Questions
- Press 2 for All Other Questions
- The system asks you to enter the Social Security number. Do NOT enter any numbers. Another option menu will be available if you don’t enter the number.
- Press 2 for Individual Tax Questions.
- Press 3 for All Other Questions and then wait on hold for an unusually long amount of time to speak with a representative. (Who will then probably transfer you to somewhere else where you wait on hold again).
If you are trying to get yours or someone else’s taxes fixed, corrected, reissued, or did everything right but they are still trying not to pay you, my heart goes out to you! I hope this helps you get the job done.
Oh let me know if this stops working or if it needs corrections and make it easier for everyone to get stuff done.
Hopefully I won’t be on the phone all day but I have a fully charged battery and plenty of chores to keep my busy while I wait on hold. I’ll update you with how long it took to get someone and whether or not it solved my problem!
They said verifying my identity fixed the hang up (which I did through a video call from an organization called ID.Me). That process took about an hour from beginning to end.
I should receive the payment owed from 2020 taxes in 9 weeks. If I don’t hear from them in 9 weeks I guess I’ll be calling back in then.
I have it marked in my calendar! Hopefully I don’t have to call back, but if this isn’t solved you know what I’ll be doing on November 25th.
Best of luck with your IRS goals. Thanks for reading with me today!